Parameters that fuel your creativity
In our second H-Reverb tutorial, we will look at the extended controls found with the「Expand」button.
We will look deeper into detailed edits that allow for creative sound design.
H-Reverb – Video access
1 – Basics
2 – Extended controls (Current article)
Sound design with EQ & DAMPING
Like the other Waves reverb plugins, you can design sound with EQ and DAMPING.
More detailed edits can be made visually from the window.
- ER allows for EQ edits – 1 band for high end, 4 bands for Tail
- Q can be edited with 2 bell bands (LoBell, HiBell)
- DAMPING ratios/range can be controlled with Lo and Hi, as well as reverb time
Editing reverb Density
Density determines the density of the reverb tail.
100% gives a rich and smooth reverb, and the lower the amount, the more the sound becomes an echo like effect.
Editing and special effects with INPUT ECHOES
By turning INPUT ECHOES ON, you can create tempo-synced echos from the inputted audio.
The dry and reverb (Tail only) echos can be mixed seperately.
Mix subtly to add thickness to your reverb, and when mixed heavily you can create special effect type sounds .
- Type: Edit the tempo-synced echo timing
- Discrete: Edit the dry signal’s echo amount
- Diffused: Edit the reverb (Tail only) signal’s echo amount
Editing a space with OUTPUT ECHOES
OUTPUT ECHOES creates echo from all sounds (ER/Tail).
These parameters allow you to control the width and characteristics of the sound .
- Amount: Adjusts echo volume
- Size: Adjusts space between echos
- Tone: Edits echo frequencies (brightness)
De-essing and ducking in the DYNAMICS section
The DYNAMICS section allows you not only to place compression on the reverb,
but also works as a de-esser and ducking tool .
The de-esser (DeEss) applies only to the reverb’s high end,
and the ducking (Duck) side chains the dry signal and compresses the reverb.
- Mode: Select from Comp, DeEss, Duck
- Thresh: Set the threshold of the effect
- Recovery: Set the release in the Comp/Duck mode
- Range: Set the lower limit of the gain reduction in DeEss mode
Recreating vintage reverbs from the GLOBAL section
Using the GLOBAL sections Drive knob and Analog/Digital switches,
you can recreate vintage style reverb sounds.
For more detail on each parameter check out the「HARDWARE」preset series.
Various effects and presets
There are also various effects, like resonant filters using env and LFO, flanger type modulation effects, and allow for very creative sound design.
In addition, of variety of presets are on board, and beginners can learn by referencing these as well.
We will go over a few in our video, so please give it a look!